Crepes are a real weekend treat and always symbolize a slow, relaxing morning. These crepes use the nutritious whole grain gluten free flours of buckwheat and brown rice. I love using figs for the filling while they're in season, but you could swap the apples and figs for caramelized bananas or pears if that’s what you have on hand. 💛
Author: Krystle Manning
- 1 heaped tbsp Prana Chai
- 1 ½ cups boiling water
- 1 cup buckwheat flour
- 1 cup brown rice flour
- Pinch of sea salt
- 3 free-range eggs
- ½ cup natural yoghurt (coconut or dairy)
- ¼ cup coconut oil, melted
- (optional: for extra chai spice, add ½ teaspoon each of cinnamon, ginger and cardamom)
Salted Caramel Apples & Figs:
- 2 apples
- 4 figs
- 2 tbsps. coconut oil or organic butter
- 2 heaped tbsps. coconut sugar
- Pinch sea salt
- Extra natural yoghurt and maple syrup (optional), to serve.
HOW TO MAKE
- Place the chai and boiling water into a teapot or small, lidded saucepan to brew for 5 minutes. Strain the chai and allow it to cool.
- Add all of the crepe ingredients to a medium bowl and whisk to combine. Set aside for at least half an hour to allow the yoghurt to create a slightly ‘sourdough’ flavor.
- Meanwhile, peel, core and slice the apples into thin pieces and cut each fig into 6 pieces.
- Heat a heavy based frying pan over medium-high heat and add half a tablespoon of coconut oil or organic butter to cover the base.
- Pour in half a cup of the crepe mixture and pick up the handle and move the pan around above the hotplate to spread the mixture evenly around the pan.
- Cook each crepe for a minute on each side (or until the bubbles have popped and it is nice and golden). Remove from the pan, place on a plate and pop into a ‘just warm’ oven. Repeat with the remaining crepe mixture.
- Once you’ve finished the crepes, heat a medium sized saucepan over medium heat and add the coconut oil or butter and cook for 1 minute. Sprinkle the coconut sugar over the melted butter/oil and cook for a further 2 minutes. Add the sliced apples and a pinch of salt. Stir to coat the apples in the caramel and cook for 5 minutes or until they have just softened and turned golden. Add the sliced figs, stir and then remove from the heat.
- Serve each crepe topped with natural yoghurt, salted caramel fruit and an extra drizzle of maple syrup if you please. Enjoy warm.